This is an article from the e-newsletter, Succeeding In Business by Eric Albertson-
Three to four minutes for a successful 2008
If you can give me two or three minutes today, I will give you some insights that will help you make more, and give you the option to work less. Read on if this interests you.
What is Occam’s Razor?
“All other things being equal, the simplest solution is usually best.” This is also known as Occam’s (sometimes spelled “Ockham’s”) Razor, a maxim from a 14th century English logician named William of Ockham. This razor is still sharp after more than 700 years of steady use.
So why did I bother with the other 80 percent?
The 80/20 rule is also known as the Pareto Principle. The rule suggests that 80 percent of your results come from 20 percent of your activities. For me it seems that it is usually the 95/5 rule. So why do we bother with the other 80 percent?
The simple gets done
The bonus of the two rules above is that the simple things get done, while the complex ones are ignored. At least, by me and most folks I know. In all this, action is the key. The only difference between the top and bottom performers is (on average, and in my observation), the action taken or not taken.
Action + now = WOW
Pick the best few and consider making a choice to take action now.
Start, stop & how
With the above in mind, consider taking five minutes and asking yourself the following three question:
1. What did I accomplish last year? Name the top 3 things.
2. What disappointed last year? Name the top 3 things.
3. What am I going to do differently this year? Name up to 3 things.
A simple challenge for 2008
If you can take action on just two or three of the items below, I’ll bet your 2008 will be dramatically wealthier, healthier and happier than your 2007 was, no matter what the economy does.
1. Get your goals written and look at them twice a day, every day, for the rest of the year. See below:
2. Build and maintain a target list of ideal customers you want to do business with.
3. Get your elevator speech down and know exactly what you want to say after your prospects say, “Tell me more.”
4. Get clear on a simple sales process that reliably yields closed sales.
5. Become clear on how to get the second sale over and over again with your customers; it’s really the only one that matters.
6. Understand how to get paid what you and your offering are worth.
7. Understand how to manage your activities to achieve your goals.
8. Have fun doing the above. This is actually the most important of all. If you aren’t having fun, you won’t stay with it. Pay close attention to this one.
After all, it’s the only life you have by my observation.
As you read this newsletter in 2008, I’ll help you on each of the eight items above. Yes, even the fun part, this year.
Remember the 80/20 rule
If you just nailed two or three of the above, I suspect you would have a banner year. Do them all, and I suspect you will be on top of the world.
My friend, Bob Proctor, of The Secret
Many years ago my friend, Bob Proctor, got married. His new wife sold insurance. Bob is a famous productivity guru and all-around great guy. Bob married for love; his wife was not doing well in the insurance business, as I recall, when they married.
Just try this one thing, Honey
The new Mrs. Proctor asked Bob, “How can I be more successful, Mr. Guru?” Bob said, “Just be in front of one new prospect every day, by 10 A.M., and ask that prospect to buy, no matter what.” She said, “Is that all?” Bob said, “That’s it.”
Sounds like something simple that could actually be done.
Simple execution = WOW
The new Mrs. Proctor’s sales increased more than 10 times in the next 12 months, because she followed these simple instructions, according to what Bob told me.
Now the ball is in your court
So what are the one to three simple things you will do differently this year that could help you put the 80/20 rule to work in your life?
Remember; the simple gets done while complexity kills. Keep it simple and get it done!
To your success in 2008.
“Reprinted with permission from Eric Albertson’s SucceedingInBusiness.com Newsletter.(Copyright, 1998-2007, Eric Albertson, SucceedingInBusiness.com.)”